RideAssisted.com Arrive, No Sweat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legality in Texas

2 posters

Go down

Legality in Texas Empty Legality in Texas

Post  curious Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 pm

I am intrigued by these bikes, but what is legal in Texas. I have seen these engines from 43cc to 80cc, but what can I use without having to worry about being pulled over? Also is license and and insurance required?

curious

Back to top Go down

Legality in Texas Empty Texas Motorized Bicycle / Assisted Bicycle Legal Information

Post  jg Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:13 am

Motorized bikes not your typical motorcycle
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
May 26, 2008 - 2:58 PM
Edwina P. Garza (Valley Morning Star)

HARLINGEN - It may look like a typical bicycle, but the engine sitting on the frame makes all the difference.

As the rider begins to pedal and release the clutch, its 40-cubic-centimeter engine starts to growl and the bike can accelerate up to 35 miles an hour - and save a biker from spending lots of money on gasoline.

In this day and age, motorists are looking for a new means of transportation. While some pursue carpooling or public transportation and walking to avoid skyrocketing gas prices, others have turned to bikes.

While a motorcycle may seem an obvious choice for some, Harlingen resident J.D. Smith uses his motorized bicycle.

While living in Corpus Christi nearly a year ago, a friend introduced him to motorized bikes. A contractor for about 35 years, Smith thought building and selling the bikes would be a good way to earn extra cash.

Currently, he is a student at Texas State Technical College, where he's taking government classes.

"I like the 120 miles per gallon" of the motorized bike, he said. "And the low maintenance."

The bike's gas tank takes two gallons of gasoline that can last "a couple of weeks," Smith said.

In his motor-assisted bicycle, Smith has traveled through Harlingen to Combes, Rio Hondo and San Benito.

"Everywhere I go, people are honking and waving," Smith said. "People pull up beside me and want to pull over to find out where to buy one."

Smith assembles the bikes himself, separately buying 26-inch Kulana MoonDog Beach Cruiser bicycles and the gas motor engine kits. The kits cost $280. Smith said he assembles and sells the bike for $549.

Unlike motorcycles, motor-assisted bicycles don't need special licenses, said Tela Mange, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman in Austin.

But "they do have to adhere to traffic laws," Mange said of motor bike riders.

Unlike motorcycles, the bike doesn't use a battery or key.

Smith said the bike can reach speeds up to 30 miles an hour, but cautions that riders shouldn't go over 20 mph.

"Because of potholes and railroad tracks," he said.

In towns like South Padre Island, where destinations are only minutes away, Smith expects motor-assisted bikes to sell well.

"I get about 12 calls a day about bikes," he said. "When they're ready to buy, there's no more questions."

jg

Back to top Go down

Legality in Texas Empty Is a 66cc motorized bike illegal in Texas?

Post  morison68 Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Anyone know the answer to this question?

morison68

Back to top Go down

Legality in Texas Empty Legality in Texas

Post  64ragtop Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 pm

I hope this link helps!

BC

64ragtop

Back to top Go down

Legality in Texas Empty hmmmm....

Post  64ragtop Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:28 pm

I cut and pasted the link from the Texas Transportation code, but it didn't show up in my previous message! I'll try it again...

Well, I guess the site or board does not allow posting URLs. I even pasted it to my text editor and then cutting and pasting from there. It just doesn't show up!

Here's the complete text, cut and pasted from the Texas Transportation Code:

Well, now the board says the message is too big! I'll try deleting the irrelevant stuff (and this is more work than I planned to do!)

TRANSPORTATION CODE

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

SUBTITLE A. CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES

CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 502.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(10) "Moped" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.201.

(12) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle designed to propel itself with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. The term does not include a tractor.

(13) "Motor vehicle" means a vehicle that is self-propelled.

(18) "Public highway" includes a road, street, way, thoroughfare, or bridge:

(A) that is in this state;

(B) that is for the use of vehicles;

(C) that is not privately owned or controlled; and

(D) over which the state has legislative jurisdiction under its police power.

(19) "Public property" means property owned or leased by this state or a political subdivision of this state.

Sec. 502.007. MOPEDS. (a) For the registration purposes of this chapter, a moped is treated as if it were a motorcycle.

(b) A license plate issued for a moped must have a distinctive lettering designation and include the word "moped."

Sec. 502.0075. ELECTRIC BICYCLES. (a) In this section, "electric bicycle" has the meaning assigned by Section 541.201.

(b) This chapter does not require the owner of an electric bicycle to register the electric bicycle.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1085, Sec. 4, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

Sec. 502.0078. VEHICLES OPERATED ON PUBLIC HIGHWAY SEPARATING REAL PROPERTY UNDER VEHICLE OWNER'S CONTROL. Where a public highway separates real property under the control of the owner of a motor vehicle, the operation of the motor vehicle by the owner or the owner's agent or employee across the highway is not a use of the motor vehicle on the public highway.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Sec. 502.056. DISPUTED CLASSIFICATION OF VEHICLE. In a disputed case, the department may determine:

(1) the classification to which a vehicle belongs; and

(2) the amount of the registration fee for the vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Sec. 502.2862. ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICES. The owner of an electric personal assistive mobility device, as defined by Section 551.201, is not required to register the electric personal assistive mobility device.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1318, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
===================================================================
===================================================================

I tried to delete everything that does not apply to the vehicles I think we are concerned with. I might have accidentally left something out that IS relevant!

Good Luck!!!

64ragtop

Back to top Go down

Legality in Texas Empty "Unlike motorcycles, motor-assisted bicycles don't need special licenses", said Tela Mange, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman in Austin.

Post  AssistedBikes Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:11 pm

http://monitortx.onset.freedom.com/articles/smith_12355___article.html/bikes_bike.html

"Unlike motorcycles, motor-assisted bicycles don't need special licenses", said Tela Mange, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman in Austin.

Motorized bikes not your typical motorcycle
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
May 26, 2008 - 2:58 PM
Edwina P. Garza (Valley Morning Star)

HARLINGEN - It may look like a typical bicycle, but the engine sitting on the frame makes all the difference.

As the rider begins to pedal and release the clutch, its 40-cubic-centimeter engine starts to growl and the bike can accelerate up to 35 miles an hour - and save a biker from spending lots of money on gasoline.

In this day and age, motorists are looking for a new means of transportation. While some pursue carpooling or public transportation and walking to avoid skyrocketing gas prices, others have turned to bikes.

While a motorcycle may seem an obvious choice for some, Harlingen resident J.D. Smith uses his motorized bicycle.

While living in Corpus Christi nearly a year ago, a friend introduced him to motorized bikes. A contractor for about 35 years, Smith thought building and selling the bikes would be a good way to earn extra cash.

Currently, he is a student at Texas State Technical College, where he's taking government classes.

"I like the 120 miles per gallon" of the motorized bike, he said. "And the low maintenance."

The bike's gas tank takes two gallons of gasoline that can last "a couple of weeks," Smith said.

In his motor-assisted bicycle, Smith has traveled through Harlingen to Combes, Rio Hondo and San Benito.

"Everywhere I go, people are honking and waving," Smith said. "People pull up beside me and want to pull over to find out where to buy one."

Smith assembles the bikes himself, separately buying 26-inch Kulana MoonDog Beach Cruiser bicycles and the gas motor engine kits. The kits cost $280. Smith said he assembles and sells the bike for $549.

Unlike motorcycles, motor-assisted bicycles don't need special licenses, said Tela Mange, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokeswoman in Austin.

But "they do have to adhere to traffic laws," Mange said of motor bike riders.

Unlike motorcycles, the bike doesn't use a battery or key.

Smith said the bike can reach speeds up to 30 miles an hour, but cautions that riders shouldn't go over 20 mph.

"Because of potholes and railroad tracks," he said.

In towns like South Padre Island, where destinations are only minutes away, Smith expects motor-assisted bikes to sell well.

"I get about 12 calls a day about bikes," he said. "When they're ready to buy, there's no more questions."

____

For more information about Texas Moon Dog motor bikes, contact J.D. Smith at (956) 281-2288.
http://monitortx.onset.freedom.com/articles/smith_12355___article.html/bikes_bike.html
AssistedBikes
AssistedBikes
Admin

http://www.austingreenbike.com

Back to top Go down

Legality in Texas Empty Re: Legality in Texas

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down