RideAssisted.com Arrive, No Sweat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle?

2 posters

Go down

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle? Empty How far do you commute on your gas bicycle?

Post  cpuaid Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:31 pm

I commute about 24 miles a day, 5 days a week without losing too many parts off my bike. Does anyone else out there do regular commuting?
cpuaid
cpuaid

Back to top Go down

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle? Empty commuting

Post  AssistedBikes Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:10 pm

We don't have that far to travel, that's impressive. Where do you ride?
AssistedBikes
AssistedBikes
Admin

http://www.austingreenbike.com

Back to top Go down

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle? Empty commute route

Post  cpuaid Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 am

i start 1/2 mile west from rundberg / lamar.
southbound lamar until morrow street.
southbound guadalupe until airport blvd.
airport eastbound until 183 / ed bluestein

just a little shy of 12 miles each way.
it takes me anywhere from 40 - 50 minutes getting to work, up to 1:00 going home due to traffic.
i try not to push the motor past 20 mph due to the duration of the commute.
i also try and stay on the road as often as i can.
remember not to use gas engine while on sidewalks!

my travel tool kit comprises of:
screw driver with interchangeable flat head, phil. drive tips
(1) small lockjaw pliers with wire cutter, (1) small adjustable wrench
roll of metal exhaust strap
small roll of braided wire
5 minute epoxy
a couple of small tie wraps
a handfull of replacement screws and nuts
small handpump
cpuaid
cpuaid

Back to top Go down

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle? Empty many thanks to John from Assistedbikes.com

Post  cpuaid Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:06 pm

About half a mile from work during my 12 mile commute, my bike started acting funny and making a noise from the clutch area. I immediately stopped to check it out and discovered that my clutch was stuck in the engaged position, which prevented me from peddling the bike. I didn't want to take a chance on doing any more damage so I basically walked the bike with the rear wheel lifted until I made it to work and checked it out. The clutch handle and cable looked fine. The arm moved back and forth like normal so I opened up the clutch cover and removed the plate. To my shock, I discovered a lot of ball bearings loose in the case. Good thing I immediately stopped otherwise there would have been more damage done to the clutch assembly or ball bearings. I removed all of the components I could until I got to the clutch gear. After googling the bike forums , I discovered that I needed a tool to remove it. I also saw a piece of metal that looked like a half moon and couldn't see where it came from. After more googling I found out that it was a Woodruff key. No schematics were available depicting where it came from but I figured it had to come from the clutch shaft underneath the gear which I couldn't remove. The first place I called was Assistedbikes.com because John had bailed me out before when I needed a new exhaust pipe on short notice. He not only had the tool I needed but also helped in getting me another woodruff key on the spot! I was back on the road again after only a couple of hours worth of labor.
My next engine and all of my parts will come from Assistedbikes.com
The prices are excellent and the personal touch makes Assistedbikes.com "THE PLACE" to get all of your gas bike parts.
Thanks again, John for bailing me out once more!
cpuaid
cpuaid

Back to top Go down

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle? Empty warning: watch out for toddlers!

Post  cpuaid Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 am

Commuting 24 miles a day couldn't break my motorized bike, but my 2 year old toddler easily can!
She was playing around the bike and pushed it over on my heavy duty tool box.
Clutch handle lever is broken after hitting the ground, motor caught my toolbox just right to snap the front mounting studs. One pedal completely stripped out of the pedal crank arm.
Chalk up another point for "low cost" Chinese fasteners. Now you know why the forums recommend you replacing the stock nuts, bolts, and screws for grade 5 or 8 American ones. 80% of my fasteners have been replaced with stainless steel or hardened American fasteners. It looks like I will be out of commission for awhile.
BTW, my daughter is unhurt, which is a good thing.
cpuaid
cpuaid

Back to top Go down

How far do you commute on your gas bicycle? Empty Re: How far do you commute on your gas bicycle?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down